Oconee Community Theatre
In 1970, a group of local residents with a strong interest in the performing arts met in Walhalla to discuss the formation of a community theatre. Reverend George Shealy served as the theatre's first President. Until 1973, plays were performed in school auditoriums in Oconee County. From 1973 until 1980, the theatre made a home in a former furniture store in Seneca. Beginning in 1980, the theatre's home was a former movie house in Seneca until lightning struck the building in 1989 and it burned. Since that time, the theatre has made its home in the Utica School.
In constant public use since opening November 15, 1927, the Utica School, built by the Utica Mill, continued to operate until June 30, 1989. In August 1989, it became the home of the Oconee Community Theatre.
2018 - 2019 Board of Directors
Oconee Community Theatre is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization established October 11, 1971 with the purpose of presenting plays and dramatic works of all kinds, and the promotion and encouragement of interest in theatrical productions for the people of Oconee County.
When the school system vacated the building there was no air conditioning, theatre lighting, or a stage suitable for live theatre. With the hard work of dedicated volunteers, the theatre opened the 1989-1990 season with Annie Get Your Gun.
Call 882-1910 for information about event space rental.